Saturday, January 23, 2010

Anthony Lakes: "Where powder is reality!"


Anthony Lakes certainly lives up to its motto. I experienced some of the best powder ever today at this ski resort, located about an hour from downtown Baker. Dr. Mitzel and his wife, Judit, were kind enough to let me join them on their adventure to Anthony Lakes. They went cross-country skiing, and I went snoboarding.

Dr. Mitzel in front of Anthony Lakes lodge

I'm told that Anthony Lakes was "packed." Mind you, there were about 10 people in line max! The quick lift line and lack of crowds was refreshing after the long lines at some of the Tahoe resorts. I'm told that today was one of the best days as far as snow conditions go since it was the first snow in a long while. There were 9+ inches of new snow at the top! Huzzah! Anthony Lakes has one lift, but the mountain feels huge! There are so many fabulous runs, I don't think I took the same path down more than once, even when I tried!

Little else compares to the feeling of boarding through fresh powder, and I almost giggled aloud with glee. The closest thing that comes to mind is meringue. Some of the doctors I work with have season passes. How awesome to have Anthony Lakes so close! What a treat it was to experience some of this perfect powder. :) I can see why some call Anthony Lakes this areas best-kept secret!

P.S. The drive to and from Anthony Lakes was gorgeous. The drive goes through the cute town of Haines and is considered the Elkhorn Drive Scenic Byway. I asked the Mitzels what the main crop is in this area, and their reply: "Cattle." ;) We also saw three bald eagles! Apparently, there is a row of trees that several birds of prey like to frequent. We could see the dark bodies and bright white heads and tail feathers! I feel very American having seen our national bird. Three of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment