Monday, January 25, 2010

Various teaching styles

FYI if it's of interest, I thought I'd share a little bit how a typical day goes with my preceptors. Generally, we take a tag-team approach in how we see patients. I'll see a patient, interviewing and examining them to the best of my ability. While I'm with them, my preceptor will see a patient usually and then after he's done, I'll meet with him to discuss the patient I just saw. We'll then both see my patient. Then we'll repeat this process.

I appreciate the time my preceptors give me to meet with my patients. I have a chance to practice my interviewing and examination skills. Patients have been really tolerant and patient, letting a student interrogate, poke, and prod them. ;) I am forever grateful. I learn a lot this way: time alone with the patient is valuable, and time with patient + doctor is incredibly valuable as well.

I'd like to highlight another teaching technique, which I'll call the Lamb method. I worked with Dr. Lamb last week, and per usual, I met with one of the patients one on one first. We had a busy afternoon, so Dr. Lamb forewarned me that he'd come in and observe me interviewing some of the patients. So here I was interviewing a pleasant young lady with some suspicious skin lesions, and Dr. Lamb walked in. He said, "Don't mind me, I'll just be sitting here observing." The patient said lightheartedly, "You'll make her nervous!" Dr. Lamb then proceeded to briskly pull the curtain (that is usually used for patient privacy) in front of him, hiding him from view. So the view we had was of the drawn curtain with his legs still visible from below! (Mind you, he was in his typical garb: blue jeans and cowboy boots! I love it.) The patient and I cracked up, and I did my best to interview her. It got even better, though, because as I asked questions of the patient about her rash, Dr. Lamb would peek out from behind the curtain! I tried to maintain an air of professionalism and tried to continue asking her questions. At one point, I had to ask a question and asked to "consult the curtain." Permission was granted, and Dr. Lamb helped me out. :)

That's it for now...just a day in the life of a med student in Baker City! Man, I'm really getting attached to this place. Can I please do my pediatrics and internal medicine rotations here too, pretty please?

Dr. Lamb reveals himself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment