Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pine Eagle Clinic in Halfway & My first Baker baby!

Day 2: I woke up at 4AM so I could round on my patients before Dr. Schott and his PT friend, Rob, and I were to head to Halfway (population: 337; total area: 0.4 sq mi). "Halfway between what?" you ask? I had the same question. Here's what I learned.

The drive was gorgeous. The gradual rise of the sun unveiled beautiful stretches of snow-covered mountains extending to what seemed to be infinity. Halfway is located 55 miles northeast of Baker near Whitman National Forest.

Similar to our setup at EOMA, I had a little desk and sat at Dr. Schott's right shoulder. We saw patients together and got a pretty good rhythm going. I'd see a patient, discuss the patient with him, and then we'd go back in together. As the day went on, he'd see a patient while I was seeing a patient such that I essentially saw every other patient. This worked well, and I appreciated the time he took to teach me. His population consists mostly of patients above 40 with chronic conditions like hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, and congestive heart failure. It's been great having such bread and butter primary care patients!
Pine Eagle Clinic

I also got to give an allergy injection and tetanous shot. "It's kind of like throwing a dart," one of the staff members advised me. :) And fortunately, I didn't injure anyone; the two patients are still alive and breathing! ;)
Top: Dr. Schott and Rob in waiting room. Bottom: Matt in hallway with patient rooms.

We drove back to Baker, and while it seemed like I had already had a full day, there was still more excitement to come that evening. Dr. Schott and I admitted a patient with a perplexing presentation, and then I got to deliver a baby under the supervision of Dr. Irvine (also a Domer by the way. Go Irish!). Deliveries never cease to move me; such a beautiful thing to witness and partake in!


Four of the docs do OB here, and they've all been kind enough to call me if any of their patients deliver. Another great aspect of OB as a family medicine doc here is that most of the docs deliver the babies of their own patients! (This is also true in the more urban settings, but oftentime OB/GYNs will do the majority of deliveries I'm told.) After wearing their OB hats for the delivery, they put on their Pediatrics hat and perform the newborn examination. Such great continuity and comprehensiveness!

No comments:

Post a Comment