Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day One: Full immersion

I began the first day of my rotation by meeting my preceptor, Dr. Schott at 6AM behind the hospital, St. Elizabeth Health Services. Within five minutes of getting there, he told me that there was a C-section scheduled for 7AM and that I could join! After a tour of the facilities I joined Drs. Lamb and Kelley in the OR. Drs. Schott, Lamb, and Kelley are all family medicine doctors, and they practice at Eastern Oregon Medical Associates (EOMA), along with Drs. Mitzel, Irvine, and Smithson. These six doctors are the main doctors in town, and it's so fascinating learning about their scope of practice!

Med-Surg Acute Care

After the C-section, I joined Dr. Schott and visited with a number of his patients in the hospital as he is on call this week. We later headed across the parking lot to EOMA for his afternoon clinic. The variety in just the first day was quite impressive! After clinic, Dr. Schott and his wife, Dawn, invited me over for dinner. I had a chance to meet their two sons, Steven and Alexander, and their adorable pug, Mini (short for Minerva for all you HP fans!). Their hospitality exemplifies the welcoming spirit of everyone I've met in Baker! Everyone is so supportive, warm, and friendly here! I'm so thankful for this opportunity! Not only is it awesome to experience life in a rural clinic, but also more broadly, it's such a joy getting a taste of what life is like in Eastern Oregon!

Birth Center

From Day 1 in clinic, it's immediately apparent that Baker is a very tightknit community. I'm touched by the relationships Dr. Schott enjoys with his patients. It seems that he knows all about their families and that this familiarity is mutual. It's such a privilege to be here and join them!



Final note: for most of this rotation, I'll be sitting in Dr. Schott's office. I was given a cute desk and adorable laptop to work on! I shall call this photo "Mini Me." Not sure I'd be up to shaving my head though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment